Mission readiness is the ultimate goal, so how do you quantify the costs associated with stress, turnover, absenteeism, theft, security clearance attainment and retention, security breaches, and substandard performance of your workforce?

Employees

  • Every day, an employee leaves their job for a second one to earn an extra dollar due to their heavy burden of debt and desire to have a better lifestyle.
  • One out of every four employees are financially distressed.
  • Employees spend 20 hours each month on the phone to deal with their failing finances.
  • Large numbers of loans against company retirement plans (401k, TSP, 503b, etc.) – the equivalent of a 40 percent loan.
  • Personnel readiness, productivity, performance, creativity and leadership skills are compromised when the employee is financial distressed.

Federal Employees

For Federal employees with a security clearance, financial consideration is fundamental to employee readiness, mission readiness and ultimately mission success. Adjudicative guidelines are established for all who require access to classified information— C2.2.1.12. Appendix 8 Guideline F: Financial Considerations which include excessive indebtedness, recurring financial difficulties, or unexplained affluence.

  • Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include: delinquent debt; a history of not meeting financial obligations; deceptive or illegal financial practices such as embezzlement, employee theft, check fraud, income tax evasion, expense account fraud, filing deceptive loan statements, and other intentional financial breaches of trust; inability or unwillingness to satisfy debts; unexplained affluence; financial problems that are linked to gambling, drug abuse, alcoholism, or other issues of security concern.
  • As stated in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), the DoD provides personal financial management to service members and their families. Also stated in the MOU, “Personal financial management is also seen as an integral part of personal readiness to accomplish the DoD mission.”
  • There is little doubt that for Federal employees, the number one destroyer of a security clearance is financial problems due to excessive debt levels. Reasons range from financial irresponsibility, lack of planning and knowledge, and events such as medical emergencies, furloughs, and economic downturns. Regardless of the reason, it leaves our country’s leaders in the perilous spot of making personnel decisions that impact mission readiness and the security of our country.
  • A sampling of Defense Office of Hearing and Appeals (DOHA) security clearance hearings from 2007 showed that about 50 percent of clearance denials involved “Financial Considerations.”  This was two times greater than the next most frequently listed issue for clearance denial. – William H. Henderson, President of Federal Clearance Assistance Service.

College Students

  • Every day, it’s well documented that students drop out of college because of the heavy burden of debt and distress.
  • Only 45% of Freshman students graduate leaving 55% of students to suspend college with debt stemming from loans such as student loans, credit cards and vehicles.
  • 27.3% of student loans are delinquent (Fed Reserve, June 2016) significantly impacting default rates
  • The Federal Reserve reported that student loan debt has reached $1.3 trillion. (June 2016)

More employers and educational institutions understand the correlation between personal success and professional success of their employees and students. Employees simply can’t function professionally at the levels necessary to maximize company performance.

Therefore, launching our students into the workplace sets them up for financial success especially in the critical areas of retirement plan loan reductions, absenteeism due to second jobs, identity theft protection, the influx of personnel security breaches, estate planning, and financial strategies.

By all research and statistics on personal financial wellness training, it is estimated that the return on investment exceeds a 3 to 1 margin. For example, if a company spends $5,000 on a financial wellness program, then they will gain $15,000 in increased performance and productivity.

 

In a fiercely competitive global market, the spend is not only essential but equally justified by the ROI.